11/27/2011

Putting Christ in Xmas

Thanksgiving is over, so now begins the holiday season (for anyone not Hindu who celebrated Diwali in October).  It's time now that we start seeing social network statuses being updated with remarks about Black Friday shopping and the war against Christmas.  Only the war on Christmas doesn't actually exist.

Yes, lets keep Christ in Christmas because Christmas has always been about Christ, and when you wish someone a happy holiday, it's a blatant attack on Christianity, isn't it?

Well, sure, if you consider Christianity to be a close-minded and self-absorbed belief system, then it's an attack on Christianity.  In reality, "happy holidays" is an inclusive way to wish someone happiness in whatever holiday they may be celebrating this time of year.  Christmas happens to be one of those holidays included.  It's what people say when they recognize that Christianity isn't the only religion in the world, so there's no need to assume that the person you are talking to is also a Christian.

Seeing these posts, blogs, and social network statuses that declare you must say "Merry Christmas" or we must keep the "Christ" in Christmas are simply another example of what playing the persecution card is.  It's kind of hard to be persecuted when your religion is the majority in a nation, and has so much influence over the government and lawmakers at the dismay of anyone who doesn't believe in such a specific and particular mythology.

Some pretend to get offended at the use of the "X" in Xmas.  I say pretend because I really believe that these kinds of people just look for any reason to get upset at something.  What's funny about this is that the "X" is a Greek abbreviation for "Christ" and not the anonymous character used by illiterates to sign contracts in Daffy Duck cartoons.

When I normally talk about Christmas, I do type "Xmas", except when blogging, because I tend to abbreviate less when I blog.  I do this not because I'm some sort of anti-theist trying to make a statement, I do this because it's shorter to type.  If I tell you in person, and I already know you're a Christian, then of course I will wish you a merry Christmas, but as for my sentiment to the world as a whole, I wish them a happy holidays

If you're the kind of Christian that still asserts that we should all only wish people a merry Christmas, despite the religion (or lack thereof) of the recipient of the sentiment, then I can only conclude that you are a part of the Christian war against other holidays.

How anyone could have something against wishing everyone happiness and not see the problem with that is simply mind boggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment